Friday, February 5, 2010

How can I keep a trunk/log from from splitting when carving?

I am making pieces between 4 and 6' tall from various found logs- oak, hickory, black walnut, maple. I keep them in my studio for as long as a year before I begin work. All have split in some manner. Not so as to divide the wood, but enough to add gaps to the workHow can I keep a trunk/log from from splitting when carving?
Not perfect, but if you try to slow the drying by wrapping the piece in plastic wrap.





Slowing down the rate or water loss will reduce the checking but could promote mold.





I have heard of some people brushing a clear finish on the end grain and letting it dry to reduce moisture loss through the ends - the area that wicks water out of wood.How can I keep a trunk/log from from splitting when carving?
kiln dry it. and always cut the wood from the heart out don`t cut the wood with heart wood in the center
Your question was answered, except for the praying that the logs will not crack any more

No comments:

Post a Comment