Thursday, February 11, 2010

I am growing tomatos in buckets and they are splitting open and have tough skins.What am I doing wrong?

I have several tomatos growing in buckets and they split open when they turn ripe and they have very tough skins on them.Is there anything I can do to fix this?I am growing tomatos in buckets and they are splitting open and have tough skins.What am I doing wrong?
When a tomato suffers through a hot or dry spell the skin naturally toughens and thickens to prevent water loss. Then when the plant gets a big shot of water the the tomato grows faster than the skin can grow and stretch, causing it to split. Cold set or early varieties are more susceptible since their skins are thicker to start with. Try to keep your plants as evenly watered as you can.I am growing tomatos in buckets and they are splitting open and have tough skins.What am I doing wrong?
I don't know if u are doing anything wrong but my dad and i plant at least 120 tomato plants a year and this is what we do. water them frequently and use a tomato fertilizer (we use magical grow). Try taking a tomato off when they are still green and put then in a dark place until they ripen. my dad always says a tomato that splits is caused either by being left on the vine for too long, not enough water or it got too cold out that night.
They need more regular watering sounds like there not getting enough water then you give them allot and they put on quick growth resulting in splitting skin i would water more regularly . Tomatoes in the growing season require allot of water
Not enough water,nights too cool,need more sunlight.
  • tend skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment