Thursday, February 11, 2010

A poem, does this attempt at splitting lines with a minimalistic approach work?

Spirits drift,


indolent


apparitions,


across the centerlines;


undulating, wispy


vaporous visions.





Car lights beaming, skipping


across wet pavement.





Radio plays


favorite songs;


windshield wipers


keeping time.





Driving


down this highway


distant signage


glossy, reflecting


in high spirits


revved and ready.





Work awaits my emergence





- I am not sure if I should have made another break after reflecting.A poem, does this attempt at splitting lines with a minimalistic approach work?
I love this poem.


You've done wonders with a minimal amount of words and take the reader into a serene little world but then it abruptly ends with your last line.





I would like to see the last line change a bit and instead of coming against the picture you've presented in the lines before, work with it and say instead that you're NOT ready to emerge into your work world, that like the reader you too are enjoying the rhythmic little world on the road. :O)))


But perhaps I missed your point.


I still enjoyed the read very much though. Well done.A poem, does this attempt at splitting lines with a minimalistic approach work?
I do not see a clear connexion between reflecting and in high spirits, although there is one between the last two lines of that stanza. If anything, I'd put a break before and have glossy and reflection each stand alone, without even the comma. That would allow for multiple bridges of thought. Part of the key to minimalism is that the reader also composes with what is supplied. I'd do the same thing with beaming, skipping in S2. Watch out for black ice and sharp curves.
I'm not crazy about the minimalistic approach, to me it feels like poetry in a blender, not that yours is awful just the style itself. Now that free verse and minimalism is tradition it seems to me a bit cliche. But hell girl play with it awhile, you always have poetic license to break away from it later on. I must admit the images where sweeping and vivid and struck a chord, this critique is just my personal bias on the neo-fascism of the hip.
I was really into this poem and the 3rd stanza sent me into an old song...





';Windshield wipers slapping out of tempo, keeping perfect rhythm with the song on the radio.....';





When I got control of my brain again, I re-read this work of yours...





as to your little side bar, I naturally--on the second read--made a break there. I am not sure but I think maybe it needs the break.





overall, great read! I won't critique any more than I have---giggles.
I like it, but I'm not sure about the last line. Either I don't get it, or I wouldn't use it . . . but if it's the former, I might use it, if you get what I mean.





It's one of those that kinda grows on a reader.
great poem..just that today i am looking in the rear view mirror for i told him to look at my break lights and now im listening to the goodbye cheating, missing, heartbreaking love songs on the radio
Emergence? or Divergence?
No break after reflecting IMHO.





This reminds me of missing the


turn, but not caring too much.
and I can't keep my eyes on the white line of the highway, when he's sitting close beside me and he whispers in my ear........
This poem is crazy drive that landed me in the emergence room. I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment