Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What is your opinion on Dog Food ingredient splitting?

鈥渋ngredient splitting'; is where the manufacturers split up the grain fractions or the by-product fractions so that they can be listed lower on the ingredient list, but when all of the grain or by-product sources are added together, they total more than the muscle meat that is listed first.





For example:


Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Taurine, Flaxseed, Vitamins/Minerals.





Here Chicken is listed first, but there are two types of rice 鈥?hence more grains than meat?





Another Example:


Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Canola Oil, Potato Fiber, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamins





It has duck and duck meal 鈥?hence more protein even though potatoes is the first ingredient?





Is ingredient splitting real or is it a myth since pet food makers are required to carefully label their products according to stringent government regulations?What is your opinion on Dog Food ingredient splitting?
';It has duck and duck meal 鈥?hence more protein even though potatoes is the first ingredient?';





Not neccessarily, there only has to be more duck meal than canola oil for it to be listed third, and only more duck than duck meal for that to be listed second. This food could very well be much more potato than duck, although I don't know this particular food. Is it an allergy formula?





As far as listing several grain types, that is a pretty sneaky way to use more grains in a food, many customers don't understand how it works.








';Is there any single source protien/carb food that has more actual protein content - as needed for efficient consumption/digestion for dogs?';





I feed sensible choice. It is a single source protein, but brewers and brown rice. My dogs do well on it but I am not entirely happy with the ingredients (meal). 25 protein/15 fat





I would much rather feed Natural Balance (not allergy formula) as I think it is one of the best foods out there, but not a single protein source (chicken, duck, lamb I believe). It is just a bit lower protein/fat than I would like to feed my working dogs. I have been thinking of switching back to it and adding stewed chicken to their feed. 22% protein, not sure about fat.





It is SO HARD to find a food I feel really good about feeding.What is your opinion on Dog Food ingredient splitting?
I don't remember, but here is their website.


http://www.naturalbalanceinc.c鈥?/a>

Report Abuse



Okay, they are all frauds if you ask me. We can't even get a calorie count on dog foods. I had this same conversation with my sis who is a DVM. Yes it is real, and it is crap. If that was people food all you know what would break loose! Anyway, feed a food that contains both meat and grains, that agrees with your dogs digestive system and a food he likes. You always have the option of making your own dog food! I do occasionally.
  • mortgage broker
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment