Friday, February 5, 2010

Why are my squash plant stems splitting and getting grainy stuff in them?

The plants are continuing to grow and flower, for the most part...I lost one. I am also having problems with fruit end rot. Are the causes for both these problems the same?Why are my squash plant stems splitting and getting grainy stuff in them?
When you speak of splitting stems and grainy stuff in them, I immediately thought of the ';squash vine borer'; as your culprit. The grainy stuff is ';frass'; (crap) of the larva. Rather than me writing a novel for an answer, as I sometimes get accused of, I will provide a link for you to evaluate your situation with a possible remedy. The reason that the blossoms are falling off, is that the larva is boring through the stem, which cuts off the needed moisture to the plant...Here is the link, check it out and see if this is what your problem is... Good luck!





http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributio鈥?/a>





...Billy RayWhy are my squash plant stems splitting and getting grainy stuff in them?
Fruit end rot: not enough whater, not enough air circulation, or a combination.





90% of squash fail for the reason found in the source.

No comments:

Post a Comment