Friday, February 5, 2010

What can I do about my dogs toenails splitting?

I have a 4 year old mini schnauzer who keeps having problems with her toenail splitting from the quick. It's very painful for her and when it happens she limps around in pain. I took her to a vet and he said it's happened to a lot of dog this year and I could try giving her vitamins....I did that, but there hasn't been a change. Is there anyone out there who has experienced this with their dog and has a solution for me?What can I do about my dogs toenails splitting?
Usually what causes a dogs nails to split is length. If you keep the nails trimmed short as much as possible, they should not split. Vitamins are also important.What can I do about my dogs toenails splitting?
Your dog is lacking in oils. Oils keep the coat in top condition %26amp; stops the dogs nail splitting.


Use some sunflower oil %26amp; massage into the dogs nail daily if you want but I would suggest feeding your dog tuna in sunflower oil with its meal pour about half a teaspoon of the oil out of the can onto the meal %26amp; empty the rest out, squeeze the lid down to get it out %26amp; depending on what size your dog is medium/large should have half a can of the tuna on its meal.


You have not mentioned what meal your feeding your dog.


If the meal is pretty cheap run of the mill that you can pick up in any supermarket then it is no good, you should feed either flint river ranch dog meal, or you should be feeding james wellbeloved either of these food have the essential oils they need etc
Check your dogs toenails once a month. If they are allowed to grow long they can be torn off like that. They should just a little longer than the quick. Take her to a groomer once a month %26amp; keep them short %26amp; this won't happen.
Get a new vet!





This could be caused by yeast or a fungus... Dogs need good food to help keep their immune system functioning well... If you buy your kibble at the grocery store/Petsmart, etc. then you are feeding your dog junk food for every meal of the day.





get your poor dog some grain free food. google: dog + food + grain free





Or, better yet, switch to a raw diet.





www.rawmeatybones.com


www.rawfed.com/myths


www.rawlearning.com

No comments:

Post a Comment