Friday, February 5, 2010

How do I prevent my cats' claws from splitting?

I have two indoor cats. I feed them Pruina indoor cat forumla and they have a huge scratching post which they use (in addition to my furniture). But when I go to trim their claws, they always seem to be flaking from the sides of their nails. It seems like it hurts them. Is there any way to reduce the flaking?How do I prevent my cats' claws from splitting?
Cat claws are not are not like ours nails, they consist of layers of nail that are designed to be shed. They don't always cut smoothly sometimes they kind of break away. This is normal. Try cutting just the tips, this usually works better.





Make sure you use proper claw-cutters that cut with a rounded blade, not straight clippers, to avoid the flaking. Make sure you are cutting at the right angle to avoid tearing. Here's a video that might give you some ideas and tips:


http://www.felinevideos.vet.cornell.edu/鈥?/a>





If it seems like it hurts them(I'm assuming this is when you are cutting them) make sure you are not pressing down too hard on the pads to extend the claw. Sometimes if they are stuggling it's easy to squeeze too hard. Do it when they are sleepy and relaxed.





Hope this helps.How do I prevent my cats' claws from splitting?
It doesn't hurt. That is how a cat naturally sheds its claw sheaths when it scratches. An intact claw sheath after it's been shed looks like just the point of the claw with a long strip on either side. Nothing's wrong and the flaking isn't hurting your cats.
this is a natural part of how they grow. it does not hurt them. just keep them trimmed and filed at least once a week. those things grow out quick!
My cat had flaking nails too and I thought that they would hurt him but after I cut his nails a few times, the nails stopped splitting.I think it's normal and a part of how they grow so you shouldn't be too concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment