Friday, February 5, 2010

Why are my chillies splitting as they they turn red?

they are in a large pot, lots of chillies coming up , looks healthy , but a lot of them split when red , some thing to do with watering ? or the hot sun?or fertilization?Why are my chillies splitting as they they turn red?
Roxy I think that you need to pick them just as they are turning red and let them sit for a while. Perhaps someone knows more about it than me , but I think that is the reason. Your weather is pretty much the same as ours and my sister picks them before they are completely red.Why are my chillies splitting as they they turn red?
Are you watering over the plant instead of at the roots, perhaps in the heat of the day? If the chili is quite warm from the sun and the cold water hits it it will split, as will tomatoes.
The answers are pretty much what I would have said. Over ripe they swell with water (sometimes) in order to expose the seeds they split
Probably because they are ripe and need to be picked.

No comments:

Post a Comment