Tuesday, February 2, 2010

How do I keep my homemade bread from splitting on the top?

I do try to knead out any air bubbles before putting it in the pan to bake.How do I keep my homemade bread from splitting on the top?
em -- The seam side of the loaf must be on the bottom when placed in the pan. No matter what kind of pan you are using.


May I suggest that you shape the dough in a rectangel shape with your hands the leingth of the loaf desired. With a soft brush


remove any flour from the piece of dough.


Then roll dough as tight as possible in a jelly roll fashon pinch the dough togeather


to form the seam place in loaf pan or on a sheet pan with the seam down and give the


loaf a full proof and bake. A loaf of bread in a loaf pan will sometimes tear the leingth of the loaf on one side. This what we older bakers call the bloom. And it used to be the


sighn of a good loaf of bread. Then we found out that it was caused by under proofing the bread. but the splitting on top


has to be the seam is on the top of the loaf.


I hope this helps you. jim bHow do I keep my homemade bread from splitting on the top?
I don't know what type bread you're baking, but I would suggest that you increase the humidity in the oven by taking a spray bottle filled with water, and spritzing the interior of the oven occasionally as you bake.
Slash it with a razor or very sharp knife before baking.
I think it's a sign that it has risen too fast; you may be using a bit too much yeast.
do you let it rise in the pan for a little bit? that might be your problem if you aren't
  • Eit International
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment